Welcome to the Ryerson Centre for Cloud and
Context-Aware Computing (RC4)
The Ryerson Centre for Cloud and Context-Aware Computing (RC4) is Ryerson’s newest research and commercialization Centre. Supported by the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario and building on Ryerson’s successful innovation model, RC4 brings together industry partners, researchers and start-ups to develop and apply cloud and context aware technologies to drive productivity and global competitiveness across industry sectors.
RC4’s mission is to create knowledge, commercialize research, create jobs and improve productivity and performance in Southern Ontario.
The RC4 hub and advanced cloud computing infrastructure is centered in the heart of Toronto along with Ryerson’s Digital Media Zone at Yonge and Dundas with projects and companies working across targeted sectors including Manufacturing, Transportation, Health Informatics, Consumer Applications (Retail, Entertainment and Media) and Public Safety applications.
Three additional nodes provide the resources required to research and develop cloud and context-aware technologies in different vertical markets:
Collaborate to Innovate
Cloud and Context-Aware Computing create opportunities for collaboration across disciplines, sectors, and between academic and industry partners. Through RC4 researchers will be able collaborate with companies and organizations to improve business processes, reduce enterprise costs, attract and retain new customers, improve workforce management and effectiveness, create new products and services, expand into new markets and geographies and gain access to a highly qualified personnel.
Cloud and Context Aware Computing: What is it?
Increasingly companies are shifting their applications from dedicated hardware to shared virtual services based in “the cloud”. These services provide increased flexibility in adapting computing resources to customer needs as required and can deliver applications, data and storage anytime and anywhere.
The convergence of mobile computing, big data analytics and advanced sensing technologies have enabled the development of new context aware applications that deliver customized content to meet user needs in time and space. For example, using information about location and time as well as customer preferences allows e-commerce applications to notify a shopper of sale as they enter a store, directing them to where the item is located.
RC4 offers its partners a wide range of resources to address diverse research and infrastructure development needs:
- Access to leading edge research and consulting;
- Access to emerging technologies and trends;
- Hosting on RC4 cloud infrastructure;
- Opportunities to collaborate on developing and deploying solutions;
- Access to knowledge-based resources and networking opportunities;
- Access to a highly trained talent pool to help support research and development projects.
- Context-aware platforms and applications to help you to improve business processes, reduce enterprise costs, attract and retain new customers, improve workforce management and effectiveness
- R&D support, including highly trained personnel, to create new products and services
- Performance and productivity optimization through technology adoption consultation
- Expert consultation on technical barriers and trends
- Introductions to potential clients, suppliers and partners through Ontario’s leading network of Cloud and context aware innovators.